When a space is identified as a confined space it is important that the Confined Spaces Regulations are applied in full, even where the specified risk is controlled.
Not all enclosed workplaces are subject to the Regulations; an enclosed workplace without a ‘specified risk’ is not a confined space, even where there are other risks due to the size or difficulty of working in it.
Xytecs Low to Medium risk Confined Spaces course is written in accordance with the Confined Spaces Regulations 1997 and Approved Code of Practice, Regulations and guidance. It is designed to clarify, educate and deliver capability and confidence to our candidates.
This course is classroom based with practical elements and is designed to familiarise delegates with the core requirements of the Confined Spaces Regulations 1997 as well as train them to confidently operate within confined spaces in accordance with HSE guidelines.
This course covers a general syllabus as proposed by the HSE but a dedicated course can be adapted to meet with your organisations specific requirements.
Delegates will be assessed by the trainer during the course and a final written and practical assessment will complete the certification process.
Delegates attending this course must meet the following minimum standards…
- A professional attitude and a willingness to learn.
- A good understanding of written and spoken English.
- Numeracy skills.
- Physically Fit
- Comfortable working in an enclosed environment
Who is this course for?
Delegates attending this course will have a need or desire to work with confined spaces or will be responsible for personnel who work with low or medium risk confined spaces.
This course will address
- Health and Safety Legislation.
- What is a confined space
- The dangers of confined spaces
- Preparation of emergency arrangements
- Emergency procedures
- Local emergency services
- First-aid procedures
- Safe systems of work
- Equipment required before entering a confined space
- Testing the air
- Provisioning of breathing apparatus [Escape Sets]
- Permits to work
Content and Delivery in accordance with
- Confined Spaces Regulations 1997.
- HSE Approved Code of Practice, Regulations and Guidance.
Additional Reference Material
- Health and Safety at Work Etc Act 1974.
- Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999.
- Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations 1998.
- Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998.
- Personal Protective Equipment at Work Regulations 1992.
- HSG53 (4th edition 2013) Respiratory protective equipment at work.
- European Standards and Marking for Fall Arrest.