This course addresses a broader spectrum of the core aspects of work at height in order to contribute towards a higher level of competency. This more in-depth course is designed around common work at height activity and equipment to offer the highest standards in general knowledge and understanding.
This course is classroom based and designed to familiarise delegates with the core requirements for safe work at height. It will look at different types of working environments and a range of risks and hazards these present. It will look at a range of Personal Fall Protection Equipment and its correct selection and use as well as pre use checks. As a foundation course it will also look at various types of working at height access and working
Delegates will be assessed by the trainer during the course and a final written assessment paper will complete the certification process.
Delegates attending this course must meet the following minimum standards…
- A professional attitude and a willingness to learn.
- A good understanding of written and spoken English.
- Numeracy skills.
- Physical fitness where practical elements are included.
Who is this course for?
Delegates attending this course will have little or no working at height experience but need an understanding of the core elements of safe Work at Height and associated equipment. Anybody who works at height needing certification or re-certification or anybody responsible for personnel that works at height.
This course will address
- Basic knowledge of work at height activity.
- UK legislation.
- Work at height related risks and hazards.
- The hierarchy of measures and how to apply them.
- Fall arrest, work restraint and work positioning.
- How to correctly select work equipment in particular PPE and PFPE.
- Strengths and limitations of different types of PFPE.
- The need for efficient ground clearance.
- The dangers of falling objects.
- How to correctly don a full body harness.
- Inspection and Maintenance of PPE and PFPE.
- Correct use of ladders and step ladders.
- Rooftop Safety including fragile surfaces.
- Safe working in MEWPS.
- Safety use of mobile access tower.
- Safety on Scaffolding.
- The need for qualified first aid.
- The need for emergency rescue.
Content and Delivery in accordance with
- BS 8454 Code of practice for the delivery of training and education for work at height and rescue.
- BS 8437 Code of practice for the selection, use and maintenance of fall protection systems and equipment.
- The Work at Height Regulations 2005.
Additional reference material
- Health and Safety at Work Etc Act 1974.
- Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999.
- BS 7985:2013 Code of Practice for the Use of Rope Access Methods for Industrial Purposes.
- European Standards and Marking for Fall Arrest.
- Safe use of ladders and stepladders INDG455.
- Fragile roofs safe working practices GEIS5.
- Health and safety in roof work HSG33.
- International Powered Access Federation.
- Prefabricated Access Suppliers' & Manufacturers' Association.
- Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations 1998.
- Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998.